Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Almost Mine

Today the waves of emotion were extreme. One minute I'm out to lunch, laughing it up with my girlfriends and before I know it I'm back home...pink blankets and laundry all around and before long I'm curled up in bed, hanging on to her picture, crying myself to sleep. In the mail came a package...three beautiful outfits for baby Evie from my aunt and uncle. They came one day too late. I get in the car to take Blake to school and her car seat is in the back, empty. I'm doing life just fine, but little things, big things, I never know when, can turn my mood quickly to the pain of loosing the baby girl who was almost mine.
I wanted to record a few things about Evie so I will never forget them....starting with day one.

- When we picked you up from the hospital it was very bitter sweet. For us to get you meant someone else was loosing you. In the car on the way home I told Mike I felt guilty for not having that instant magical mommy feeling when I saw you, the way I did with my other children. He said, "You had those babies for 9 months before you saw them. You just met this baby today. Give it time." And he was right. By that night you were mine.
- Immediately you started to nurse on my chin. I loved that not only because it was a thing that just you and me had, but also because I used to do that to my mom when I was little. You and me were meant to be. Two months later you still did this and I could feel your sweet baby breath on my jaw as you pacified yourself there. It left your hair to tickle my nose. Precious. No other way to say it really.
- Ah, the hair bows!!! I was so excited to dress you every day and of course to give you the perfect hair accessory to go with each outfit. The bigger, the better. I wonder how long you would have put up with that?
- I remember once when Blake was about 18 months and I was home with him and I painted my toenails red. He asked if I'd do his to. Of COURSE I said yes!! So I did it, and boy did Mike ever freak out when he got home and saw his little boy with a pedicure! He took that polish off immediately and told me to never do that again. Well with you, Evie, I had permission to do everything girly and not get into trouble. I believe you were 5 weeks when I finally painted your toes bright pink. I can't believe it took me that long! Nothing sweeter than a baby in a diaper and toenail polish.
- At about the 5 week mark of getting nearly no sleep because of your presence with us, and feeling like I was at the end of my rope, I was holding you in the kitchen and we locked eyes and you gave me a huge grin! I felt like I could go another year with no sleep as long as it meant I'd get to see you smile. It filled my heart with so much love and joy that I just couldn't wait for you to do it again. Right before you left us, you were grinning much more often. It was the highlight of each day. I pray that joy never leaves you and that your Aunt will work her head off, sometimes throwing her neck out, just to get you to laugh/smile like I did.
- You hated the car so we would often hear your screams from one errand to the next. But there was nothing like taking you out, lifting you up, having you cuddle into my neck and sigh. Instant relief. You knew you were safe there.
- Having you sleep on my chest for hours on end.
- Seeing you sleep on your daddy's chest.
- Blake was madly in love with you, always checking on you and being the helper, but Tyler was SO constantly into his baby "thister". He couldn't walk past you even once without giving you a big kiss on the head that often would wake you up or at least shift your head about your little body. Your eyebrows said, "Yep, that's my brother. He does that."

I think I could go on forever with all of the little things that I loved about you but in general I loved you without limits, I loved you unconditionally, I love you still and always will...my precious girl who was almost mine.

When I got that package in the mail it stung a little bit. This isn't how things are "supposed" to happen. The baby comes, you get lots of presents and then the baby stays. Simple as that. But if we wanted a plan that predictable and easy, we would have gone a different route. Having a baby of our own, adopting privately, etc. But we were called to the foster care ministry because these kids need us. They need to have love, joy and peace while their world around them is in complete chaos. We know we may loose 20 more before we get a "keeper", or our next placement may be the one. That does make me nervous...I don't want to grieve by choice. Who does? But I know that whatever comes our way we will stand firm in our faith in God, we will cling to each other, our friends and our family and we will be strong enough to face the next situation with hope. My hope comes from picturing my God walking along side of me as I heal, holding me close and saying, "Be strong. You can do this. Cast all of your cares upon me, and don't worry...I already know the child who is going to remain in your family...and she's almost yours."

18 comments:

Nassra said...

Hugs <3

Anonymous said...

Oh Darbi. We love you to bits. Hugs and snuggles, and some good smelling soap headed your way. Shawn

Anonymous said...

Darbi, I loved reading all of your
memories and thoughts about Sweet
Baby Girl. The "motto" for the
Salem Free Medical Clinic is "Love
Them Til They Ask Us Why." (And
then we tell them about Jesus.)Evie
was too tiny to ask "why," but I
know that she knew that you loved
her. She may one day look back
and wonder "why," and you may have
the priviledge of telling her. OR
her auntie may ask "why." I'm so
proud of you and Mike, for showing
Evie and future baby(ies)God's love
for them in their uncertain world.
Keep that chin available! I love you. Your Sue-Mom

Tracey Dunsmoor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey Dunsmoor said...

Darbi,
Thank you for sharing your memories. It was beautiful. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and that precious baby girl with the big bows. She is lucky to have a mommy who loved her and cared for her even if it were for only 8 weeks. It takes a special person to do this and you did such a wonderful job. God chose you and gave you that special gift because you are able to fulfill those needs. It is clear that you are filled with Gods love and are willing to spread that love where it is needed. Your story is touching and amazing. May God bless all of you.

Tracey dunsmoor

Christi said...

I'm so glad you wrote all of this down now. Your "story" you are living is definitely not boring. Full of pain for sure, but never meaningless.

~Crystal Warren~ said...

Darbi,
This was beautiful. You are such a wonderful mommy overflowing with love! Evie is so blessed that she could spend her first weeks with you and your family. You are an amazing and strong woman! Love you tons!

Anonymous said...

I always read and I always cry...you are amazing!

Sara

Erika C. said...

((hugs))

jana said...

I didn't really want to read this. As a new mommy to an 11 week old, I knew I would cry. And I did. I hurt for you because I feel like I really understand you; I can imagine just how I would feel if I was having to give Finn to someone else. My prayers and tears are with you!

Anonymous said...

I love that praise song, where part of the chorus is, "He give and takes away", my friend I know that no one knows this as you do. He is faithful and He is so good!
Love you!
Kelsi

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

Oh, Darbi. I wish I had more words. All I can say is "Oh, Darbi". I just want to hug you, and thank you for all those little kids that can't, because you changed that little world for her forever.

Tammy said...

Thank you for sharing with us all.
May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. 1 Thess. 3:12
You are living this verse. God is so proud of you, he is smiling at you with unconditonal love just as your little Evie smiled up at you.
- Tammy LaLonde/Zeisler

Scrapping in Circles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scrapping in Circles said...

So sweet, powerfully sad, and uplifting all at the same time. What a lucky little girl to have all that love. May God help you grieve the loss and strengthen you for the next lucky baby. Nicole (=

lori said...

xoooxoOXXOxoooxoxXooxoxoOO

The Land of the Lamberts said...

Your blogs always stir up emotion for me. This one, did not fail. My husband and I have been discussing adoption since before we were married, and feel that the time is approaching to start the process. We are first going to sit with several couples who have gone through (state adoptions) and pick their brains and hear their stories. Stories like yours and Evie's break my heart, and yet enlarge it to take the plunge into adoption.
I'm horribly affraid to get attacheded to a small, sweet, helpless child and then to loose them to someone else who I don't know and try to trust the Lord that they will be ok.
anyway, thank you for sharing with us. I appreciate your blogs. They are teaching me a few things and helping give me the courage to give a home to a child without one.
Blessings to you, friend,
Larissa

Anonymous said...

g n snb n nzz , z ,mnj jj

love, Ruby