Monday, November 24, 2008

Anybody got a coconut bra to loan out?


So the day started out as a giant stress ball. I came down stairs to find Mike on the phone, his eyebrows wrinkled, papers spread out on the counter and huffing his breath. You know that sound. The sound you get from your husband when he asks you how long you've been driving the car with the oil light on and you say, "I can't remember." That huff. But before I tell you what was wrong this time, I need to back up...

The way Mike and Darbi work is that Darbi is in charge of all of the fun, the mess and the stress, and Mike is in charge of the logic, the peace and the cleaning up of all of my messes.

On December 5, 1998 we became man and wife and have had quite a ride getting to know each other through life's ups and downs. But if there's one thing we've learned over the last 10 years it is this: WE NEED A VACATION. We want to celebrate our marriage and what we have been through and are currently going through together. We will leave the kids with the grandparents, leave our computers and phones at home and lay on a beach for 6 days somewhere warm next week and we will LOVE IT. But where?

This is where it gets interesting. We consider ourselves "medium" people. We don't buy new cars or designer clothes. We get a lot of our stuff at garage sales and off of craigslist. Mike cuts the boys hair and his own and I get my hair done at a $15 place. We buy furniture at Ikea in the rare event that we DO buy it new, the rest is hand-me-downs. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii some day, but when we decided to go on this vacation we wanted to go to a "medium" kind of place so that we could do something cool with our money later (possibly a missions trip to New Orleans this summer).

Mrs. Fun (that's me!) got on the computer and found a great package deal for Puerta Viarta, Mike said "Book It!" and we were going! Woo hoo!

Then Mr. Logic (that's Mike) woke up this morning. "Hmmm. I wonder what you need to get across the border. " He thought. His huffing? Passports. Do we have them? No. Do we need them? Yep. Can we get them? Yep. But it'll cost us. Three HUNDRED to over one THOUSAND dollars to MAYBE get them in time for the trip. Mrs. Fun started doing a lot more than huffing. Mrs. Fun needed a drink with her Cheerios.

But friends, I don't want to drag you through my whole trip to the health department, Mike on the phone and computer, Blake and me locking ourselves out of the car at his school, sob story of a day. I want to get to the part where Mike called and said, "Guess what?"
"What?"

"I just talked to the travel agent and you know how the cheapest passport would be $300 and we only MIGHT get them in time?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, it's only $267 to switch our tickets to Waikiki, and you don't need a passport in Hawaii!"

One more word friends: ALOHA!!!!!



7 comments:

Christi said...

I love how Mike and Darbi work.

Have a GREAT time - you deserve it.

Unknown said...

I kept thinking about the passport thing all night, I thought I should call, but didn't want to get you all paranoid at 11pm when you can't really do anything about it. I'm so glad mike is Mr. Logic, but I really thankful that you are Mrs. Fun!

bethcoug said...

You are too funny! I love your new blog, it makes me smile. You are going to have a wonderful time in Hawaii, you deserve it. I don't have a coconut bra, but Noni does have a grass skirt you could borrow!

Stephanie Ann said...

yay for hawaii! you two are going to have a blast! (jealousy sets in...)

Anonymous said...

I've never really told anyone . . . but I have a coconut bra.

Melissa said...

Sounds somewhat familiar to how Melissa and Duffy work! Great story to start my morning!! Have a blast - I'll be freezing my butt off on a little motorcycle trip to Vicotria, B.C. next week - Hawaii sounds a heck of a lot warmer!

Elaine said...

Hooray for you! Hawaii sounds like so much fun. (Plus BJ got sick from the food in Puerto Vallarta on our honeymoon! :)