Friday, July 15, 2011

And God will take care of you...



I just went to tuck Blake (7) in to bed. He was restless so I knew he wouldn't go down easy. He's been sensing things have been different around here. He knows Grandma Sue is sick, but we've just been waiting for him to bring it up when he's ready to. I've also been fearing his reaction when it really hits him. The worst thing in the world is to see your kids go through pain. It's hard enough to see your parents in pain but your kids? I can't do anything about this though but pray for peace and strength and that I can be the best example to him of what I want my biggest testimony to be; That NO MATTER WHAT, God will take care of us. I can talk about it, I can blog about it, but if my kids don't see it in my life then do I really believe it?
Blake was complaining that it was hot. He couldn't sleep. He said he wanted to pray. When we were done he said, "Mom, I keep praying and praying that I won't be afraid at night and no matter what I do God won't take that away!"
I said, "Well, that's normal. It sometimes doesn't go away right away."
B-"But what do you mean it's normal? I've been praying for a long time and I'm still scared. How long do I have to pray?" This was serious business.
Me- "Well, it takes two to make a prayer happen sometimes. I mean, it's one thing to ask God to make you not scared, but then you also have to trust that no matter what happens, God will take care of you. That's your job. Remembering each night that you have nothing to be afraid of because of God and then praying for Him to help you remember that, maybe that will work better." What did I do? Will he even get this?
B- "Mom, what do you mean?"
Me- "Okay, so like list the things you get scared of at night."
B- "Like a robber breaking into our house and taking our stuff."
Me- "So if that happened, we would get new stuff...and God would take care of you."
B- "But what if it was something really big, like our TV?"
Me- "Still, we would eventually get a new TV...and God would take care of us."
B- "Okay...then...what about if our house caught on fire in the middle of the night?"
Me-"Well you tell me. What would you do?"
B- "I would crawl down the hallway and make sure the smoke doesn't get in my lungs. Then I'd go down the stairs and out the door." (Note to self. We've REALLY got to teach the boys how to use the fire ladder ASAP. Now I'm going to be up all night worried about a fire in the top story. Way to teach Darbi.)
Me-"And where would you go?"
B- "To the front yard."
Me- "No, you would go to Linda's yard so the firefighters have room to work."
B- "No, Daddy told me. The front yard." (Note to self. Go over the whole fire evacuation plan several times! Way to go firefighter family!)
Me- "Okay well, we'll ask him in the morning. But either way, things would be hard for a while, but eventually we would get new stuff, and...God will take care of you."
B- "Hmm. Well what happens if you die and then daddy dies right in the house at the same time. Do we call Grandma and Grandpa or do we call 911 and then where do we live? Will we go live in foster care?" This is when my heart started to break. All of this time I was worrying that Grandmas sickness would be the first major worry of his life, when in reality he is already a human in a world full of sin. Therefore he already has a host of worries all on his own. Ugh.
Me-Gulp, "Well honey, first of all that will never happen. You know that right? And second IF it did..." and we talked it out at great length about who he should call, where he would go and why, etc. "And you know what? God will take care of you." (Note to self: Figure out who will take our kids now that there are four of them and put it in writing in case Mike and I die in our home! I was just fine until I went to tuck Blake in...geez!)
Me- "You know what? I already lost my mommy and it was pretty hard. I was really sad for a while. But now everything is okay. God took care of me. "
B- "And Papa."
Me- "Yep. And Papa too," I love that kid.
B- Starts to cry.
Me- "Are you scared about Grandma Sue?"
B- "Yeah. When we were in Sun River daddy took us for a walk down by the river and he said she's real sick and that she might go to Heaven."
Me- "Yeah. And how do you feel about that?"
B-"I don't know."
Me- "I feel sad."
B- "Me too." We hugged and cried. I think you're supposed to suck it up in moments like that but I don't think even Osama Bin Laden could have.
Me- "But Grandma has been sick for a lot of her life. She has had pills that make her hair fall out, and doctors poking at her and bugging her and people keep telling her she's going to get better and she hasn't yet. But the Bible says that in Heaven she isn't going to feel pain or be sick anymore! She's going to dance with her shoulders like Evie and Gracee and she's going to do crafts and ride bikes and hold Hope and Carter and do all kinds of stuff. And because we have Jesus in our hearts we KNOW we will see her again. And when we do we will never, EVER have to leave each other again."
B- "Okay." (He's sobbing. My heart hurts. Jesus, give me strength.)
Me- "And if she goes we are going to be really, really sad for a while. But eventually we will be okay. Because I will take care of you...And God will take care of you."

I helped him pick out a buddy and I tucked him in. I left him crying. I didn't tell him not to cry or to not be sad. I wanted to because I didn't want to see him that way. But the truth is it is okay for him to cry and be sad. It's okay for us to all grieve in the way that we are going to grieve. And even though it hurts like crazy to watch, I know he's going to be just fine. I trust and I know that God will take care of him.

2 comments:

lori said...

So sorry to read about Mike's Mom. These must be such hard times for your family. There are a lot of things you've had to explain to your boys already, Darbi Johnson. A lot of things that you yourself don't quite understand. From my angle, I'd say you're doing an incredible job.

xoo

Do you have a copy of the little booklet, "Water Bugs and Dragonflies?" It's a great resource for explaining death to kids in a deeply hopeful, joyful way. If you don't have it, please email me your mailing address:

stillwalking2002 at yahoo

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

Oh, Darbi.

Seriously.

Seriously.

Your boys are just incredible.

You are just increcible.

How do you manage to make me cry EVERY SINGLE TIME? I am not a crier, but dangit woman, you have that way about you.

I am so sad for your family and the loss you are suffering. I just ache and ache for you guys. I wish life didn't have to hurt so much, but you're right that God takes care of us, and I'm glad you are feeling that even now.